Will’s Art Warehouse - Gallery Sales Assistant
Summary and aims of role: Will’s Art Warehouse are seeking a dynamic and passionate gallery assistant capable of delivering exemplary client understanding and with a keen interest in the arts, to gain invaluable experience and to develop a range of skills. This is an exciting sales and ecommerce focused role! You will be responsible, alongside the rest of the team, for selling artwork to reach monthly sales targets as well as having sole responsibility over our online presence on external ecommerce websites. It’s important to us that you are pro-active and focused, with a polite and friendly manner, and enjoy working as part of a team.
Role and responsibilities:
Online Presence Management
- Taking sole responsibility of WAW presence on partner ecommerce websites - predominately the Affordable Art Fair, our sister company.
- Putting new images on these sites and removing sold work.
- Sourcing new artists and seeking out new ecommerce opportunities to increase online sales opportunities.
- Updating artist biographies and the gallery diary page.
- Managing website sales and shipping of artwork on these external platforms.
- Maintain and build relationships with key customers.
- Drive gallery sales month by month, ensuring targets are met or exceeded.
- Discuss framing requirements with customers.
- Handhold first time buyers as well as engage with more experienced prospects.
- Populate and use current CRM system to achieve sales.
- Follow up sales leads proactively using database to target collectors and clients.
- Up-sell and keep an up to date knowledge of our artists’ work and offer home approval/instalment plan schemes to clients where appropriate.
- Provide a warm and friendly welcome to all our visitors, assisting customers and selling artwork.
- Ensure that Will’s Art Warehouse site is safe and secure.
- Ensure that artworks are labelled clearly for clients and QR codes are accessible, well presented and maintained.
- Share knowledge about Will’s Art Warehouse, its exhibitions and provide an enjoyable experience for all our visitors.
- Take phone calls and respond to customer enquiries via email.
- Welcome opportunities to talk and engage with visitors, share your own sense of enthusiasm, passion and fun for the Gallery and the wider Art World with our visitors.
- Strive to resolve issues quickly before they escalate in a manner appropriate to our different visitors.
- Assist visitors with access requirements to support their needs and to help them find their way around the gallery and surrounding area with ease.
- Keep the gallery office and kitchen area clean and tidy.
- Ensure that all artworks are wrapped and displayed safely so that customers can broowse easily.
- Maintain painted surfaces around the gallery – filling holes/painting walls & windowsills.
Artwork and Artists
- Assist team with curatorial decisions including selection of artists and artwork for exhibitions and fairs.
- Hang and wrap artwork in the gallery and at art fairs.
- Deal with artists, taking delivery of artwork, requesting collections, commissions and orders.
- Flexible approach to working and open to taking on other tasks as reasonably required.
- Opening/closing gallery.
- Work at art fairs, both UK and abroad.
- Any other duties consistent with the role and as requested by the Gallery Manager.
- Availability to work flexibly including working some evenings and at weekends, and Bank Holidays.
- Experience in a customer-facing role or ability to demonstrate an aptitude for customer service.
- Be confident and able to communicate in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service skills including the ability to assist all visitors, in a friendly, courteous and confident manner.
- Have the ability to stay calm under pressure and solve problems quickly and efficiently.
- Have experience working as part of a team in a supportive and cooperative manner.
- Competent IT skills.
- Have excellent verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of and an interest in the arts.
- Experience of working at events held in a gallery/museum space.
- Retail experience.
Working hours: Hours of work will include Saturday (10am – 5pm) and Sunday weekly (11am – 4pm).
You should also be flexible and able to provide additional cover for the gallery as required to support the operational delivery of Wills Art Warehouse Exhibitions and events. This requires willingness to work evenings, weekends, and Bank Holidays, with some early starts and late finishes on a flexible basis.
During art fair weeks (3-5 times per year), you should be able to assist throughout the week with the potential of travelling abroad.
Leave entitlement: Holiday entitlement will depend on the number of hours worked and will be prorated on the basis of full-time entitlement of 25 days holiday per holiday year. This entitlement includes Bank and Public Holidays. Pension: The Gallery will comply with the employer pension duties in accordance with Part 1 of the Pensions Act 2008.
Deadline for applications: Monday 31st January 2020. Send a copy of your CV with a covering letter detailing how you meet the essential attributes detailed above to Rachel Oteng-Lartey, Gallery Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to volume of applications we will only contact shortlisted applicants within 1 week of the closing date.